(Pictured from left to right) Laura Hetsko, David Rachita, Chuck Carlisle, Amy Kennedy-Reynolds (current chair), Randy Russel, Kim Brizendine, Lisa Chisholm, Dennis Cruse, Kat Grannemann, Carole Young. Not pictured; Pete Halvorson, Rick Powers
A Note from Our Chair
On behalf of the entire Board of Stewards, let me express our appreciation for allowing us to serve the congregation of Friendswood United Methodist Church. It is both an honor and privilege to serve in this capacity, and we do take very seriously the trust you have placed in us. As your church leaders, it is extremely important for us to work closely with our pastors, staff members, and the congregation to help achieve the mission and goals of FUMC.
We have identified several themes that we are using this year to guide our efforts.
- "Seek God first..." in all discussions and endeavors we consider and undertake.
- Communicate, communicate, communicate...we promote transparent and open communication-- it is crucial for you as congregational members to know what is going on and equally important for us to get your feedback and insights.
- Build relationships...strengthening and enhancing our relationships with each other will lead to greater opportunities to do God's work and glorify Him.
Over the next few months, we hope you will be able to tangibly see the results of the themes we have identified. Here are some highlights of what is to come, based on our foundational theme of communication:
- We are in the process of revising our FUMC website to include a BOS area where you can easily find information about our plans, activities, and initiatives. We want this to be a useful resource for you to learn more about the FUMC BOS structure and strategic vision, along with getting to know the BOS members.
- We are planning at least two congregational "town hall" forums to provide additional avenues of communication. As mentioned previously, one of our primary goals is to enhance the communication and outreach between church leadership and congregational members.
- We are looking for new and varied ways to communicate with the congregation-- it is very important to us for you to be informed and to have a communication path back to us. We are looking at creative ways to use social media, visiting Sunday School classes, etc. in order to promote open and transparent communication-- please give us your ideas!
- Please know that you are always welcome to attend any of our BOS meetings that occur at 12:15 the third Sunday of each month.
- We also want to build and enhance our relationships with each other as we "seek God first" in embracing the opportunities He sets before us to fulfill His plans for FUMC. Once again, we will be looking for creative ways to get to know each other better-- another opportunity for you to give us your thoughts.
I'll close for now. Please know that I am humbled to serve as the Chair of the FUMC Board of Stewards. I am so excited to see how this year unfolds as we come together to "seek God first"!
In His Love,
Kim Brizendine, as a Friendswood ISD Trustee, Friendswood City Councilman and Mayor, he has worked with others to maintain the exemplary standard of living in this community. At Friendswood Methodist, he has served in areas such as finance, facilities and stewardship. Professionally, Kim has worked in the petrochemical industry here in Texas and throughout the Gulf Coast.
Laura Hetsko and her husband Ed, have two children, Aron and Jenna Hetsko (both in college A&M and UT). Laura has been involved in multiple mission areas across Friendswood Methodist since 2006. Professionally, Laura has been a realtor with UTR Texas REALTORS since 2013.
David Rachita, and his wife Laura have been members of Friendswood Methodist since 1995 and as family (Alexis and Joshua) have been involved in a host of activities including the music programs, performing arts programs, youth ministries, bible studies, UM Army, various committees, and scouting. Professionally, David is a Dean at the University of Houston – Clear Lake.
Chuck Carlisle, and his wife Danae have been members for about 18 years and have 2 children, raised at Friendswood Methodist. They have been blessed to host "Taco Night" at their home for the past few years and have been working with our youth group. Professionally, Chuck is a Program Director in the Fire and Life Safety group at UTMB in Galveston.
Randy Russel, and his wife Marillyn have been a member of Friendswood Methodist, and a citizen of Friendswood since the mid-1980s where he raised their two children Tara and Colin. Randy leads a small Bible study group which has studied numerous Seedbed programs led by Dr, Sandra Richter, as well as, other subjects. Professionally, he spent his work career employed in the downstream oil and gas industry.
Lisa Chisholm, and her husband Mike, and their three children have enjoyed attending Friendswood Methodist for over 15 years. Lisa participates in a small group with our Celebrate worship team after church on Sundays. Prior to being nominated for the Board of Stewards, Lisa served on the Board of Trustees. Professionally, Lisa is a chemical engineer who works for ExxonMobil.
Kat Grannemann, and her husband Nathan and two children William and Lyla are Louisiana natives who became Houston transplants in 2012. Professionally, Kat is a registered nurse at MD Anderson and loves sharing Christ's compassion to her patients.
Carole Young, and her husband, Matt and two daughters have been members at friendswood Methodist since 2010. Carol is active in the youth ministry where she has taught Sunday School, been a small group leader, helped with Mudfest, Creative Arts Camp, and Big One camp and helped led UMARMY. Professionally, Carole is a third grade teacher at Winding Intermediate.
Pete Halvorson and his wife, Sonja, have two adult children, Zach and Marissa. Their family has been active at Friendswood Methodist since ~2001. Currently, Pete and Sonja facilitate a Sunday morning group, Backstage, and are members of the Healing Prayer Ministry. Professionally, Pete is working in various roles for Flight Operations at NASA Johnson Space Center.
Rick Powers, his wife Lois, and children Jon, Chris and Katie became members of Friendswood Methodist in 2012, thrilled to return to the Houston area after a number of years’ service with the U.S. Department of Justice requiring various moves throughout the country. Rick is active in the Friendswood Methodist Pastoral Care Team, and also serves communion to those homebound and unable to attend services.
Dennis Cruse and his wife Kara married and moved to Friendswood in 1995. They have been members of Friendswood Methodist since 1997 where both their children, Grace and Benjamin, were baptized and confirmed. Dennis has served in several positions of leadership including Trustees, Chairman of Finance committees, church steward and currently usher team leader and member of the Board of Stewards. Outside of Friendswood Methodist he is involved with Epiphany Ministries for incarcerated youth, bible studies, and Boy Scouts of America. Professionally, Dennis is Managing Director at BBG Real Estate Assessment and Principal at Commercial Property and Energy Services LLC.