Upward is an evangelistic sports ministry specifically designed for boys and girls four-years-old through sixth grade. Emphasis is placed on “Christlikeness” and good sportsmanship—not championships and trophies.
Upward seeks to strengthen children and their families by:
- Maximizing the family schedule by having only one hour of practice and one game each week,
- facilitating an atmosphere of sportsmanship by not keeping league rankings,
- allowing the coaches to focus on ministering, instead of game strategy,
- by having a set substitution system that allows all players equal playing time,
- and by maximizing ministry opportunities by exposing participants & spectators to Scripture-based halftime devotions.
Friendswood UMC offers three Upward sports programs:
- Fall Flag Football (with cheerleading)
- Winter Basketball (with cheerleading)
- Spring Soccer
Registration is $100.00 through February 4, 2019.
Registration after February 4 is on a space available basis only, fee is increased to $120.
*Registration costs include uniform shirt/shorts/socks. Players must provide their own shin guards and footwear/cleats.
Everyone is required to attend one evaluation. All evaluations are held at the soccer fields at Friendswood Methodist
1st eval - Sunday, Jan 27, 3 - 5 pm
2nd eval - Monday, Feb 4, 4:30 - 6 pm
Teams are coed.
PreK - Kinder
Practice/play their games on EITHER Friday evenings at 6:00 pm OR Saturday mornings at 8:30 am at Friendswood Methodist for one hour (you choose which day).
1st - 4th
Practice one hour EITHER Monday or Thursday evenings at 6:00 pm at Friendswood Methodist.
Games will be Saturday mornings at 10:00 and 11:00 am also at Friendswood Methodist.
Practice one hour EITHER Monday or Thursday evenings at 6:00 pm at Fellowship Bible Church (1720 E. Broadway, Pearland).
Games will be Friday evenings at 6:00 pm at Fellowship Bible Church.
First practice - March 4, 7, 8, or 9 (on your team's assigned practice day)
First game - March 22 or 23
Last game - May 17 or 18
For more information contact Director Tami Griffith.