Healing Prayer Ministry
We all should seek God’s counsel to discern His call for our life. If you believe God is asking you to be a prayer minister, be encouraged in knowing that Jesus sought out the most unlikely, ordinary people – not scholars or theological geniuses – to be his apostles and ministers. Yet, they were chosen and empowered by Jesus to carry on the work of the Father, just as prayer ministers are called today to be God’s eyes, ears, voice, hands and heart in the world.
If you have a heart to pray for others,
If you have a longing to facilitate and co-operate with the ministry of the Holy Spirit in the lives of those who seek healing,
If you desire to call upon God’s love, healing, empowerment and deliverance for those seeking to receive healing prayers on their behalf,
You may be called to serve as a healing prayer minister.
The Profile (none of us meet all the criteria included in this list, but we all should strive to grow in these areas.)
- Prayer ministers are members of Friendswood Methodist Church who are called, equipped, and commissioned.
- Prayer ministers should attend worship regularly and be part of a community of Christians who can support the prayer minister’s spiritual life.
- Prayer Ministers should be devoted to prayer – ever seeking to grow in their personal prayer life.
- Prayer ministers should be humble, teachable and open to learning.
- Prayer ministers should be emotionally healthy.
- Prayer ministers should listen, love, and pray; avoid being judgmental or critical. Prayer ministers will not act as professional counselors, and should not presume to give advice or counsel.
- Prayer Ministers should know the power of the Holy Spirit and be devoted to full, wholehearted life engagement with God – seeking to know God and to walk with Him day by day.
- Both the public and private life of the prayer minister should represent the heart of Jesus.
- Prayer ministers should always convey the love of Jesus.
Becoming a Healing Prayer Minister
- Pray and ask the Lord to confirm His calling in your heart and in your mind
- Review the “Profile of a Prayer Minister” for compatibility
- Consider speaking with the current healing prayer ministry leaders about your calling.
- Attend the Healing Prayer Ministry Information Session.
- Complete an interest form and return it to the Pastor of Congregational Care.
- Once your form has been received, you will be contacted to schedule an interview.
- Attend the interview with the healing prayer ministry leaders.
- Following the interview, you will receive a follow-up call from one of the ministry leaders.
- Attend and complete the 30 hours of Healing Prayer Ministry Equipping and Practice.
- Be Commissioned
Exploring Healing Prayer
- Topics (12 sessions, 30 hours)
- Love Heals – A Biblical Theology of Healing Ministry
- John Wesley and Healing
- Miracles of Jesus
- Underlying Meaning and Importance of Healing Ministry
- The Mystery of Faith
- Four Basic Kinds of Healing and How to Pray for Each
- Discernment of Root Causes and Why People are not Healed
- Putting Healing Prayer into Practice
- Etiquette, Confidentiality, Safe Ministry Practices, and Ministry Guidelines
- The Bible
- Love Heals – Donald E. Demaray
- “Seven Ways Wesley Preached about the Holy Spirit“ – Chris Ritter
- “John Wesley and Healing” – R. Jeffrey Hiatt
- Miracles of Jesus – The Bible
- Healing – Francis MacNutt
- Movie Miracles from Heaven
- Minister in Love: Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become as sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 1 Corinthians 13:1-2
- Minister in Unity: I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought. 1 Corinthians 10:1
- Commit for two years. It is recognized that this is a major commitment of time.
- Uphold the healing prayer ministry regularly in prayer.
- Attend and complete the 30 hours of healing prayer equipping and practice.
- Once commissioned, attend and participate in monthly gatherings for growth and team building.
- When ministering in a healing prayer service or appointment, attend both the pre- and post- team briefings.
- Maintain a willingness to seek the direction of the leaders if a situation arises with which you are not prepared to handle.
- Inform the leadership team of any changes that occur in your life that could be perceived as a hindrance in your ability to effectively serve in this ministry.
- Maintain confidentiality as presented in ministry guidelines.
- Follow the prayer ministry patterns as presented in ministry guidelines.
- Follow the safe ministry practices as presented in ministry guidelines.